Sunday, November 7, 2010

Birthday Cakes Continued....

After making a hit with the rainbow cake for my hubby at the office.  I had to make him a cake for his actual birthday dinner.  The dinner I was planning was an homage to his 'white-trash' palate.  He simply loves plain Americana food...something I rarely relegate myself to cook.  I usually pick several fabulous dishes to show off - but this year - I decided to make things easy on myself.

He was so surprised when he came home and found out his b-day dinner was basic 'white-trash' food as I like to call it.  To start out the evening he had Deviled Eggs, Chips and Dip, some roasted tomatillo salsa (okay, so I made the salsa for me but I had to have something edible on the menu).  The main dish was  grilled burgers and all the fixins' - I made myself a veggie patty and loaded on the sprouts, onions, tomatoes, pickles, yum....My husband's was medium rare with bacon, all the cheese bacon and ketchup!  God forbid he eats something green.  There was bacon, jalapeno cheddar cheese, swiss, and as I like to call it Plastic Cheese aka American Cheese.

In addition to burgers I made him homemade baked beans---which I find absolutely repulsive!  Who makes beans then adds sugar and pork fat???  I grilled up some zucchini and portabellos for the non-carnivores and rounded out the dinner with some good ol'fashioned Tater Tots.  I think he died and went to heaven.

But dessert was the topper... A giant Smores cake. .The SMORES cake was inspired by a blog.  It was a hit.  The only thing I changed was I baked it in an 8x8 and added additional layers and whole marshmallows....I also added a TBSP of Cinnamon to the graham cracker crust then I drizzled it with chocolate syrup.  Now nothing says Americana like a slice of S'mores cake outside by the fire..



Happy Birthday Kev!  Can't wait till next year....

No comments:

Post a Comment